Texas border affairs
For the 18th time in 19 years, McAllen ISD has been awarded the highest rating in the state by the Texas Education Agency’s FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas) school, according to preliminary reports.
The 2021 score is based on the annual financial report provided to the Texas Education Agency by the district for the 2019-2020 school year.
The top pass rating serves as an indicator of the quality of the district’s financial management and reporting system.
“” “‘” We take our responsibility to manage public money very seriously and the dedication of the team has had a powerful impact on the goals that benefit our students, staff and schools. ”
The FIRST School Grading System encourages public schools to better manage their financial resources in order to provide the maximum amount possible for student education.
PREMIER objectives include:
- Strengthen fiscal responsibility
- Improve performance in district financial management
- Facilitate the effective and efficient use of resources
The ratings are based on 15 financial indicators, such as operating expenses for education, tax collection rates, student-teacher ratios, and long-term debt.
McAllen ISD has won several major awards in recent years for its sound tax practices. These include:
- The Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for the 10th consecutive fiscal year (2010-19). The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in government accounting and financial reporting, and obtaining it represents a significant achievement by a government and its leadership.
- Recognized for excellence in budget presentation with the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) for the 2021-2022 fiscal year. This is the seventh consecutive year (2015-2021) that McAllen ISD has been recognized for its comprehensive budget presentation. The award was presented by ASBO for fiscal years 2017-18 to 2021-2022, while the district had previously received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association for fiscal years 2015-16 and 2016-17. .
- Maintain a high credit rating with a major credit rating service (Moody’s).
- Was awarded the Transparency Stars of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in Debt Obligations for his exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public debt and the Transparency Star in Traditional Finance for his exemplary efforts in creation of financial transparency around public services and spending decisions.
- Recipient of the Excellence in Procurement (AEP) award for the eighth time in nine fiscal years (2013-18, 2020-2021) from the National Procurement Institute, Inc. This is an international award (US and Canada) .